7 Tips from Experts for a Successful Basement Renovation
Posted on: September 21, 2022
If you have a basement in your home that you are not using for anything, you can turn it into something useful and add value to your home. Basement renovation provides you with some extra square footage of space that you can use as an entertainment space, an extra bedroom, or even your office space. You can also use the basement as your storage room if you do not want to add furniture, and it could still be useful instead of just leaving it as it is.
Why should you hire an expert for your basement renovation?
If you are planning to renovate your basement, you should hire an expert team to complete the project. The experts will know how you can design your basement and what will add value to your home. You should also make sure that you are using top-quality vinyl for the flooring too. Home renovation experts will let you know whether vinyl plant or vinyl tile will be ideal for your basement.
Depending on the size of your basement and the space available, the experts will help you understand whether a full basement or an English basement will work better for you. Once you understand it, you will be able to determine the price, the time required to complete the project etc. a renovation expert has all the necessary yet modern tools and the expertise to complete the project in a minimal amount of time.
7 Tips from Experts for a Successful Basement Renovation
If you are planning to renovate your basement, here are the top 7 expert tips that you should remember:
1. Design intelligently: Depending on your requirements, you can design the easement to be a bedroom, game room, office space or even laundry room. Whatever you decide now, make sure that as time goes not, you will be able to change the basement to something else if the need arises. Therefore, you should choose a design and style that is easily upgradable and can be transformed easily to meet your changing needs over the years. Your basement is undoubtedly one of the biggest rooms in your home, and yet it remains unused, so make it a practical and versatile space so that it can be used for various family needs.
2. Check the condition of the space: While you might be excited to turn your basement into something useful, do not forget to run various checks before starting the renovation process. Check for moisture, hairline cracks in the flooring and walls, and water leakage. You do not want to end up with mold in your basement that can cause serious health concerns. Before putting drywall and installing the flooring, make sure to look through the basement using a flashlight to find if there are any hairline cracks to avoid moisture buildup.
3. Test structural support: If your home is an old one, it is a good idea to hire an architectural technologist to do a walk-through in the basement and test the footing and structural support. If there are any issues with your structural support, they will find out instantly, and you will be able to fix them first before you start renovating your basement. It also ensures the safety of the basement and the entire house.
4. Reserve a storage space: If you do not have separate storage space and you are turning your basement into something functional like an entertainment room or office space, make sure to add a little space for storage. You can dedicate a corner of your basement to be a storage where you can put stuff that you do not use every day but also do not want to throw away. It will make your main house look cleaner and more put together with proper interior design.
5. Lighting: There is a good chance that your basement will not get good natural lighting. If you are making your basement to use for better purposes like a bedroom, entertainment room or office space, make sure there is good lighting throughout the space. Depending on how low the ceiling is, you can use LED pot lights, hanging lights, ceiling flush mount lights, or some architectural lighting to make your basement more attractive and liveable.
6. Soundproof ceiling: even though it can be a bit pricey, if it is possible, you should soundproof your ceilings, especially if you have a bedroom or office room in the basement. It will prevent any unwanted noise from disturbing you. It is possible that while you are in the basement, some of your family members will be upstairs, which will cause noise to carry into the basement. Soundproofing will help you block those noises out and focus on your work.
7. Flooring options: Since there is a chance that water may damage your basement anytime if there is flooding or a leak in the water system, the best flooring material you can use is the luxury vinyl plank. Most basement renovation experts carry these materials because it is 100% waterproof, comes in a wide variety of colors and styles and are incredibly durable in the long run. Even though you can add a carpet to the basement, it is often risky because you do not know what kind of damage moisture can do it.
If you think your basement is not big enough to turn into a bedroom or office space, you can try other options too. If you enjoy a good bottle of wine and prefer to have a collection of it at home, you can turn it into a wine cellar. If you like making things, you can turn them into a workshop too or a home gym so that you do not have to visit the gym far away from home. One other thing you can do is to make it a s stylish laundry room too.
For anyone looking for high-quality basement renovation services, Trademark Construction is the perfect palace where you will find top-graded materials and expert professionals to complete the project.